As summer comes to a close we know you are getting back into your fall routines. This likely means you are busier and you still need to make dinner.
The problem is what to make? Amiright?
Krista and Alex talk through their own pantry staples, what they consider a great weeknight meal, and then ten actual dinner ideas that are healthy, taste good, and most of all SIMPLE!
Listen in to get ideas going and find recipe links below. Because dinner should be nourishing for those who eat it and enjoyable for those who make it.
1. Garlic Spinach Shrimp (with or without Orzo)
3. “Healing Chicken Noodle Soup” from Food Family Style: Simple and Tasty Recipes for Everyday Life by Leigh Vickery
2 Tbs. olive oil
3/4 cup celery, diced
1 – 1 1/4 cups carrots, diced
1 cup yellow onion, diced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 qts. chicken stock
2 1/2 cups wide egg noodles
3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1 tsp. fresh thyme
Heat oil in large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add celery, carrots, onion, salt, and pepper. Stir and cook until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes. Slowly pour in chicken stock. Bring to a boil, and add egg noodles. Stir once, and allow noodles to cook 10 minutes (do not overcook). Add chicken and thyme and heat through. Serve hot.
4. Lemon Garlic Salmon or Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon
5. Taco Salad (old school, but customizable and really can be yummy also back to what we always have in stock)
6. Sheet pan lemon chicken or sheet pan Kielbasa with roasted vegetables
7. Mediterranean Plate (olives, hummus, pita, gyros meat or prosciutto, cheeses, crackers, fruit)
Homemade hummus recipe
8. Meatball Soup or meatball Subs or Spag and meatballs
9. The formula = protein + carb + veggies allows for mix and match anything (pork chops, chicken, sausage, steak) (quinoa, potatoes, cous cous, rice, and BREAD), salad / veggies (just don’t forget to use them!)
10. Zucchini boat pizzas (can do homemade pizzas on premade crusts or TJ flatbread pizzas)
-What are three staples you can add to your pantry that you can always have on hand?
-What are three go-to meals you can use in a pinch?
-What are three new recipes you’d like to try?